Avionics Harness Design Engineer
Spaceflight Industries, Inc. is looking for an engineer with aerospace systems harness design experience to lead harness development on our production team. We are developing complex payload deployment systems for upwards of 80 satellites per launch as well as small, compact remote earth sensing spacecraft. The position requires a solid understanding of satellite and launch systems and the wiring harnesses within them as well as the harnesses needed for ground testing. Spaceflight is rapidly expanding, and we require experienced, creative, and energetic engineers who enjoy working in agile and dynamic environments.
DUTIES SPECIFIC TO THIS POSITION:
This position is ideal for a candidate who knows that complex aerospace systems are highly integrated and the wiring harnesses that tie them together are critical to mission success. The ideal candidate is eager to live the end-to-end systems engineering lifecycle for complex spacecraft and launch stacks and has practical experience in the design, development, build and integration of wiring harnesses into similar systems. Experience with integrating satellites/payloads with a launch vehicle is a bonus. You must think rockets are cool, satellites are cooler, and have a good sense of humor.
- The electro-mechanical design of wire harnesses within our family of launch systems and Scout spacecraft, and associated GSE
- Meet with multi-disciplinary stakeholders to gather harness design objectives and requirements
- Develop harness design solutions within a CAD environment, and manage technical trade studies to meet stakeholder objectives as well as adhere to internal design standards and requirements
- Generate electrical interconnect schematics to support both flight and qualification designs and GSE
- Own vehicle level harnessing mechanical assemblies and drive to closure all systems integration trades related to those assemblies
- Perform analysis and physical testing (both mechanical and electrical) of harnessing with respect to thermal, loads, vibration and shock to ensure full qualification for flight
- Document and communicate the design, analysis and testing results thoroughly and clearly via design reviews
- Create and release on schedule, appropriate harnessing manufacturing documentation and drawings
- Interface with harness production and integration teams to ensure final harness designs can be produced and installed on schedule in accordance with overall project goals
- Familiar with applying cable shielding theory for noise and ground loop mitigation
- Familiar with applying industry standards for cable and harness designs (IPC/WHMA, NASA, etc.)
- Perform R&D investigations and trade studies to push wire harness design to new boundaries in terms of mass and cost savings
- Bachelors of Science or a greater degree in an engineering or related technical discipline Associates degree acceptable with additional experience.
- 5+ years of experience in engineering, with focus on aerospace systems wiring harness design and development
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision and lead a small team to execute project objectives
- Must be a U.S. Person (U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder) due to government regulation of the space industry
- Ability to design in CREO a plus