LAUNCH SYSTEMS INTEGRATION ENGINEER
Spaceflight Industries, Inc. is looking for an experienced launch systems and space systems engineer with integration experience to join our engineering team. We are developing complex payload deployment systems for upwards of 80 satellites per launch as integrated launch systems for secondary payloads. The position requires a solid understanding of the complete space launch integration and test lifecycle to deliver affordable, on-time hardware that meets our customers’ expectations. Spaceflight is rapidly expanding, and we require experienced, creative, and energetic engineers who enjoy working in agile and dynamic environments.
DUTIES SPECIFIC TO THIS POSITION:
This position is ideal for a candidate who knows space launch systems are highly integrated and changes to any requirement or component has broad-ranging impacts, sometimes in non-obvious ways. You intuit that a simple change might impact the mechanical packaging, structural margins, mass properties, electrical interfaces, power budget, link budget, concept of operations, communications architecture, avionics design, antenna selection, and even regulatory licensing. Moreover, you find this exciting, not daunting, and can explain these inter-relationships in clear written and verbal communications. The ideal candidate is eager to live the end-to-end systems engineering lifecycle for complex spacecraft stacks and has practical experience in the end to end process that covers everything from concept of operations to the integration and checkout of numerous, diverse, spacecraft. Experience with integrating satellites/payloads with a launch vehicle at the launch site or range is critical to this role. You must think rockets are cool, satellites are cooler, and have a good sense of humor.
- Responsible for the development of the integration flow for all flight support equipment in an integrated payload stack (IPS)
- Creates complex launch vehicle stack integration workflows, then works with the integration team to develop procedures that are safe, efficient, and are actually fun to execute.
- Leads integration facility personnel in the assembly of the IPS both at Spaceflight’s facilities and the launch site
- Experienced with CAD and can apply those skills to integration evaluations and planning activities
- Deconflicts schedule and resource conflicts between Spaceflight and Customer operations in the integration facilities
- Can create technical performance metrics to track key requirements compliance throughout the program lifecycle.
- Supports mechanical, electrical and manufacturing engineers, integration and test teams in the design and development of mechanical and electrical interfaces, electrical harnesses and the integration workflow.
- Identifies facility needs to support AI&T activities
- Knows a good GSE design from a bad one, can work with mechanical engineering and the integration team to create designs that work and are re-usable.
- Knows how to write a good requirement, fix a bad one, notice when an important one is missing, and delete a useless one.
- Knows the verification methods by heart and can explain them to someone like they are five.
- Interfaces with program management and customers to convey project status, risks, issues, and opportunities.
- Champions configuration management, always documents methodology, and is willing to change an opinion in light of new data.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Tools.
- A voracious reader and self-motivated learner who will never possibly understand enough to be satisfied.
- Team oriented, with good time management and communication skills.
- Desired: Experience with Windchill configuration and data management software.
- Desired: A familiarity with formal risk and opportunity management processes, but with a nagging feeling that it’s rarely done effectively.
- Desired: A distrust of analysis only documented in PowerPoint.
- Bachelors of Science or a greater degree an engineering discipline
- 5+ years of experience in engineering, with focus on launch systems or spacecraft integration
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision and lead a small team to execute project objectives
- Must be a U.S. Person (U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder) due to government regulation of space industry.