Spaceflight is looking for an experienced project manager to join our mission management team. We are providing customer access to space by manifesting spacecraft on multiple launch vehicles. We adapt our missions to best support the ever-evolving new space industry and its many launch vehicles and customers. Our missions range from a single spacecraft on a single vehicle to upwards of 80 spacecraft on a Spaceflight-developed integrated payload stack.
A Mission Manager is responsible for serving Spaceflight's customers from when they first contract with Spaceflight until their spacecraft is successfully delivered into orbit. The position requires a broad technical foundation, strong project management skills, and the ability to manage individuals and teams. Spaceflight is rapidly expanding and we require experienced, motivated, creative, and energetic individuals who enjoy working in dynamic environments. Mission Managers and Senior Mission Managers have the same core requirements with assigned project scope being the key differentiator.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate has a high standard of service for customers and understands how to guide them through long-term projects. They understand that no matter the spacecraft size the value to the customer is immeasurable and they portray this understanding through their interactions with their customers.
The ideal candidate is not intimidated by never-before-attempted challenges. They are excited to work on projects that are not fully scoped and see them through full scope definition to completion.
· Be the face of Spaceflight to customers ensuring mission success and customer satisfaction
· Develop and manage project timelines ensuring projects stay on schedule
· Manage mission budgets to achieve company margin targets
· Manage mission risks, addressing each risk through mitigation, acceptance, or transfer as appropriate
· Solicit, distribute, and manage requirements from multiple stakeholders such as launch vehicle owners and vendors
· Define and procure hardware to support spacecraft integration
· Support in-person customer meetings and integration activities
· Travel 10 – 50% of the time depending on mission period and customer location (Spaceflight honors preferences for travel as much as possible)
· Collaborate with engineering teams to evaluate customer deliverables to ensure customer spacecraft will do no harm to other rideshare customers
· Present mission status to Program Managers and Executive staff as required
· Negotiate technical trades, and customer waiver requests as required
· Collaborate to continuously develop and improve Spaceflight's mission management program and processes
· Question "the way it's always been done" proposing improvements or status quo as appropriate
· Engage in ongoing learning as required to fulfill Spaceflight's needs
· Be a team player, leading and mentoring team members as applicable
· Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or Science or equivalent work experience
· Minimum 5 years' experience in project management
· Minimum 3 years' experience supporting customers in the aerospace industry (highly desired)
· Must be a motivated self-starter
· Must be a U.S. Person (U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder) due to government regulation of the space industry